Tuesday, April 27, 2010

if I fall in the woods, will it make a sound?

I don't remember ever being this busy. It seems like the dispersing of information is my new job. That sucks, because I would rather be knee deep in spines. No one else is giving out the good stuff though, I'm really not sure why. I don't think I know everything (ish), there must be some other doctors out there who have something to offer. Where are they?

Whatever.

Make sure you check out our kick-ass newsletter for May, pretty fun stuff. Add us to your friends list on face book, we update all the time. Fink Chiropractic Center.

Habit #4 -- Teach your kids to wash their hands.

I come from a large family, 5 boys and a girl. My parents worked hard to keep us in line and presentable. You can’t keep 5 boys out of the dirt for long. I fondly remember my dad carting in 100 pound bags of sand for our sandbox. Most of that sand went into the yard, into hair, eyes, mouths, and other areas. You can imagine how easy it would have been for the nefarious bugs and viruses we exposed ourselves to; to make a run at our immune systems. Oddly, I don’t remember ever being sick as a kid. Part of the reason I now realize, the near religious zeal with which my mother embraced hand washing. Teaching your children to wash their hands regularly is the simplest way to avoid infection and reduce colds and flu. This really works. Make it a non-issue by taking the time to wash your own hands. When to wash, you ask?

- Before preparing food, setting the table, or serving food.
-Before eating meals or snacks.
- After visiting a bathroom.
- After blowing their nose.
- After handling money.
- After playing with a pet.

Just like with developing the reading habit, when you teach your kids to wash regularly you are imparting a skill. Imparting skills is a good thing. Skills give power and ability. Power and ability breed confidence, and confidence is everything for young people.

No comments: